Cheap Monthly Car Insurance

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance

April 6, 2013

Sandra asks…

what are the fines for a beginner driver in Ontario if caught driving without an adult?

we live in Ontario Canada and would like to know what the consequences are for a person with a learners permit if caught driving without a licensed driver in the car. What are the fines, is the car impounded and for how long and are there problems with the insurance. Will it be harder for the person to get their actual license if they have been caught in violation of the learners permit?

Administrator answers:

The same fine as that for driving without a license, because they is essentially what you are doing. That can mean up to $500

If you are stopped, do you think they will ticket you and let you drive away with no license? The car will be impounded.

Yes, the judge can take your license away for a time period.

Sandy asks…

Does a person need insurance if they have a learners permit in the state of Tennessee?

I’m 15 years old and I’m going to get my learners permit this Friday at the DMV in the state of Tennessee. My parents have two cars and insurance by State Farm. Do I need to be placed on their insurance plan since I will have a learners permit?

Administrator answers:

Not right away, but once you get your drivers license you will need to be a named insured. Your parents should talk to their insurance agent.

Mary asks…

What do i need to legally drive a motorcycle?

I am 17 years old. And i have had my normal drivers license for a year now. And i am wanting to get a motorcycle. I have heard that if you have your normal license and if you get insurance on the motorcycle that makes it so there is no need to get a separate motorcycle license. I need to know if that i true or not. Also if not what is everything that i need to make it legal to drive my motorcycle? Please help!

Administrator answers:

Not true at all.
You need a motorcycle license, or a learner’s permit at a minimum.
Exactly what you need depends on where you are. (This IS the World Wide Web….and every State sets it’s own laws in the U.S.)
Most states require a training course, some don’t.
ALL require a test – both written and practical. Some states waive the practical test as it’s the same as that given during the course.

Riding without the proper class of license can be expensive.
Ticket, tow fee, impound fee, storage….

Questions like this bring up one of my own: Why would any company insure a person to operate any vehicle if they can’t operate legally?
Any illegal act can void insurance – including not being licensed.

If you were to say where you live, I’ll show you where to look for what you need.

Michael asks…

How do I go about getting a temporary license plate on permit to transfer a vehicle within the state?

I just bought a car but I do not have my drivers license yet; just a learner‘s permit. I bought the car in NYC but I want to move the car, with my friend’s help because he has a license, to upstate NY in Buffalo where my school is before school starts. The problem is that I don’t have insurance because I don’t have a drivers license. My road test is scheduled three weeks from now in Buffalo and I hope to use the car to practice. I just need a temporary license to transfer the car to Buffalo and I would like to know how I can go about doing that.

Administrator answers:

Without any insurance it’s very doubtful you’ll be able to get a in-transit permit (Also known as a temp tag) . In most states, proof of insurance is a requirement to get plated. I’m certain the same law applies to the temporary tag too. Here’s an idea. Rent a car hauling trailer from UHaul and tow it to Buffalo on the trailer.
And the best way to go to avoid a lot of tolls on the NY State Thruway would be to take I-80 through Jersey into PA at Deleware Water Gap-Stroudsburg. About 15 miles west of Stroudsburg you’ll take I-380 into Scranton, and catch I-81 North toward Binghamton NY. Once in Binghamton use NY State Route 17 West, it’s a 4 lane interstate all the way. Then you’ll go about 100 miles to I-390 North toward Rochester. Once on 390 you’ll go about 60 miles to the NY State Thruway, and from there it’s only about 60 miles to Buffalo. This is likely an even shorter route than using the entire length of the NY State Thruway, through Albany.

Lisa asks…

Do I need to take a drivers ed course if I’m 18 or older to get a drivers license in NY?

1 Do I need to take a drivers ed course if I’m 18 or older to get a drivers license in NY?
#2 What do I need to do to get a permit if I’m 18? Is it imperative to take the drivers ed course for a first-time license? I have an out-of-state permit. TIA!

Administrator answers:

As some of these answers come from around the frickin world; clarify what a permit is. I am guessing you got a Learner’s License(I do not care where it comes from) but you are a person “Learning HOW to Drive” 18,28,38 Does not matter. The fact is you are dumb at this point in time. That is why you are learning. Once you go through the examination on the road, that is the point where they decide whether you are a safe and decent driver or you need some more learning.
Driver’s Ed is gonna matter when it comes to getting insurance. Those who took the course will get a discount because they are less Likely to get in a collision. Insurance wants to only collect money, not pay it out.

Daniel asks…

what do i need to get a learners permit in maryland?

in seventeen, and im wondering what i need to obtain a learners permit in this state.

Administrator answers:

A learner’s permit allows a new driver to begin the learning process of operating a motor vehicle.


Minimum age for applicants is 15 years and 9 months.
If under 16, you must provide a completed Learner’s Permit School Attendance Certification form to an MVA official during the learner’s permit application process. Home schooled applicants must obtain certification from the home school coordinator for the applicant’s jurisdiction.
A parent or guardian must co-sign the learner’s permit application if the applicant is under 18.
All applicants are required to submit sources of proof of age and identity, lawful status, social security number or proof of ineligibility, and Maryland residence.
Applicants must pass all required tests.
While driving, learner’s permit holders must be accompanied by a qualified supervising driver who is 21 years or older, and has held a license for a minimum of 3 years. The person must be seated beside the new driver at all times, with no other front seat occupants.
A qualified supervising driver (parent, guardian, or mentor) must complete a Practice Skills Log for the learner’s permit holder, which is issued by the MVA along with every learner’s permit.
New GLS Learner’s Permits issued on or after October 1, 2008 will be valid for up to 2 years from the date they are issued to allow individuals an opportunity to acquire additional driving experience, if necessary, without obtaining a new permit. This change does not impact the current GLS requirement in which the applicant must hold the permit for a minimum of 9 months before taking the MVA’s skills test.
Effective October 1, 2008, applicants must hold a valid learner’s permit prior to the behind-the-wheel driver education training and driving on Maryland highways.
Learner’s permit holders under 18 are prohibited from using a wireless communication device (including a cell phone) while operating a motor vehicle, except to make an emergency 911 call. Violations may result in a suspension of your driving privilege. For more information on this law…
Learner’s permit holders must hold the learner’s permit for a minimum of six months, maintain a conviction-free driving record during this time period, and complete a standardized driver education course before becoming eligible for a provisional license.

Parents Please Note

If a new driver under 18 is cited for a moving violation, the MVA will notify the cosigner.
Drivers under 18 may have their license suspended if the parent, guardian, or cosigner withdraw their consent. Contact the MVA for details.

Things to Remember

To obtain a learner’s permit, provisional license or driver’s license, visit any of our full-service offices in Maryland.
Your driver’s skills test for a provisional license must be scheduled in advance by calling 1-888-212-4709 for an appointment.
Obtain a free copy of the Maryland Driver’s Handbook which offers valuable information for new drivers.
The State of Maryland requires all registered owners to carry liability insurance, uninsured motorist, and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.

Sources of Proof

NEW Applicant Effective June 1, 2009

Effective June 1, 2009, a new applicant for a learner’s permit, license, moped operator’s permit or identification card must present (1) document to prove age and identity, (1) document to prove they possess a valid, verifiable Social Security Number (SSN) or proof of ineligibility for an SSN, (1) document to prove lawful status and (2) residency documents. Applicant must bring original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency. If the Source Document presented does not include applicant’s full name, and additional source document must be presented to reflect the applicant’s full name. Photocopies, notarized copies, and documents with alterations or erasures will not be accepted. If any document is damaged, torn, overly worn, etc., the applicant may be required to obtain a replacement.

Minor applicants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and the parent or legal guardian must cosign the minor’s application. The cosigner must provide acceptable proof of relationship to the minor.

Source Documents for Age and Identity

• Original or certified copy of a birth certificate (birth registration notices are NOT acceptable) filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) or equivalent agency in the applicant’s state of birth (U.S. Or territorial)*; or

• Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport*; or

• Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State (DOS), Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545*; or

• Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, issued by the U.S. DH

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Related posts:

  1. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
  2. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
  3. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
  4. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
  5. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance